This Spiced Amaranth Porridge is one of my favorite breakfasts; it is gluten free, vegan and packed full of goodness. It is delicious hot, warm, cold and on its own or with a variety of different toppings.
It is a particularly nourishing breakfast as the ingredients are excellent sources of key nutrients.
Spices are such an amazing ingredient not only do they add delicious flavors that mean we can avoid using sweeteners they are also so good for us. We often overlook spices as a health food. These spices are anti-inflammatory, antioxidants, aid digestion and support the bodies natural functions.
Amaranth is an excellent gluten free grain to incorporate in your diet, it has a high concentration of nutrients as well as being a source of protein and fibre. It has many important benefits for our body; it is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and has been known to help reduce varicose veins, improve the immune system, blood pressure, and due to its folate content reduce birth defects.
- ½ cup dried amaranth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 inch piece ginger grated
- ¾ inch piece turmeric grated
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Soak the amaranth in water and the lemon or apple cider vinegar for 30 minutes - overnight
- Drain the amaranth and add to a pot with 1 tsp coconut oil, put on medium/high heat for a few minutes stirring the amaranth to avoid burning
- Add 1 cup of water and boil for 8 minutes
- Add ½ cup milk and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the spices and 1/2 cup more milk and heat for a few more minutes.
- Time to enjoy
* With maple syrup
* With coconut yoghurt
* With a few nuts and seeds, dried fruit, coconut
* With sliced banana
* With flaxseed added to the porridge after its cooked
* With granola
* With grated carrot
* With sprouts and seeds