click Seeing mince pies on the supermarket shelves is one of the first signs of Christmas and one that gets me very excited. I love mince pies they are a yummy festive treat. These are my gluten free, vegan mince pieces.
source site Following a low FODMAP diet means I limit the amount of dried fruit I have so I like to make mini mince pieces as I can enjoy a whole one with minimal reaction.
I tend to make a big batch of mince meat up at the beginning of December and then keep it in jars in the fridge, I can then quickly make some pastry and have mince pies ready to eat in 30 minutes. Therefore you will find the recipe makes enough mince meat for 4 lots of the pastry recipe.
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 1 tbs orange zest
- 1 tbs black strap molasses
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup chopped apricots
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp all spice
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs brown rice syrup
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tbs psyllium husk
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbs chickpea flour
- 3 tbs tapioca flour
- 2 tbs water
- Mini cupcake/muffin tin
- All my recipes use dry cup measurer for liquid and dry
- Place the apple, orange juice and zest, and water in a pot and simmer for 5minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat with the lid on for 35 minutes. Stirring every 10 minutes. There should be only a small amount of excess water remaining, if there is lots still simmer for the last 5 minutes with the pot lid off.
- Leave to cool, place in sealed container and fridge.
- It is best to fridge overnight before using in the pastry shells.
- Makes 3 ½ - 4 cups – Enough to fill the pastry recipe x 4.
- Combine the oil, syrup, sugar and psyllium husk. Then fold in the flours.
- Add the water and roll into a dough.
- Place in the fridge for 5 minutes and preheat the oven to 180 degrees (350F).
- Place the dough between two pieces of greaseproof paper and using a rolling pin roll out to ½ cm thickness.
- Use a round cookie cutter (2 1/2 inch diameter) to cut the pastry and a spatula to move the circular pastry to the muffin holes.
- Lightly press the pastry into the muffin hole, it may crack, no worries just carefully use your finger to seal the crack by gently pressing to pastry together.
- Repeat 12-13 times. To make your mince pie shells.
- Place in the oven for 15-20minutes. They will just be beginning to turn golden.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack and then fill with 1-2 tbs of the mince meat.