This is my simple soaked muesli, the soaking helps remove the phytic acid in the grains, seeds and nuts, this improves the bioavailability of the nutrients in these ingredients. Making this a nourishing, easily digestible quick yummy breakfast. You can choose to add cinnamon, sweetner, soaked dried fruit but I like it just as it is, the lemon flavor with the nut milk is yummy, coconut or hemp milk is my fav.
This breakfast is a good source of protein, iron, magnesium, manganese, calcium, dietary fibre and omega 3. Helping energy production, bone growth, and has a pro oxidant and anti-inflammatory effect, all working towards a healthy boost to your body.
I remember having muesli for the first time while doing my teacher training, which was only 7 years ago so relativity late in life and I just loved it and I’ve had it so much since. This is my favourite version I’ve made and the healthiest and I love that its all ready and waiting for me in the morning.
- 1/3 cup oats
- 3 tbs buckwheat groats
- 3 tbs brazil nuts chopped in half (or nut of your choice)
- 1 tbs pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup non dairy milk
- 1 tbs ground flaxseed
- Wash and drain the grains, nuts and seeds and place in a bowl or medium sized jar.
- Add 1 tbs lemon juice and a water so you have a good 2 inch covering of water
- Soak over night
- In the morning drain the contents
- Pour back in your bowl/jar of choice and add the milk and ground flaxseed.
* Top with hemp seeds, sliced banana, berries
* Add 1 tsp cinnamon
* Top with cacao nibs and coconut
* Drizzle with nut butter or tahini