Eating healthy meals can be difficult and I feel like it requires lots of prepping. Sometimes I just wish I could grab something quick that was healthy. So what I make my lunches for the week ahead of time. I spend an hour on Sunday prepping and then lunch is ready for the week, so yes you do have to plan ahead a little but just once and then your set for the week. You have all the parts to your lunch in the fridge, I keep them all in different jars and then each day spoon out what I want into my lunch box and I’m set. This way I can have more of what I feel like each day and mix and match so each day feels different.
Preparing for the week ahead is the way to ensure you are getting a rainbow of nutrients in your diet. All these ingredients are packed full of flavor and are excellent sources of nourishment.
- Roasted veggies
- 4 cups of chopped veggies – choice is yours on type of veggies.
- Sweet potato, Carrots, Courgette, Red pepper, Pumpkin
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- Israeli Salad
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 5 tbs hemp seeds
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- pinch salt
- Carrot Salad
- 3 medium carrots (1½ cup grated)
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- Grind pepper
- ¼-1/2 tsp acai powder
- ¼ tsp fresh ginger grated
- or a simple olive oil and lemon dressing.
- Dark Leafy Greens
- 1 tin of black beans or other beans
- Slices of radishes
- Nuts Seeds
- Sauerkraut (see my recipe for this)
- Hummus (see my recipe for this)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Chop your roasting veggies into desired size aim for bite sized pieces.
- Coat them with 1-2 tbs of coconut oil and place on a baking tray and into the oven.
- Veggies will take between 20minutes to 40 minutes depending on type and size. Give the tray a shake half way through and toss the veggies around to evenly cook.
- While the veggies cook make the cook the quinoa. Rinse quinoa (even soak overnight) cook in 2 cups water, bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes until all the water has absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes with lid on. Season with salt and pepper.
- Then turn to the Israeli Salad, dice the tomatoes and cucumber into 1cm cubed pieces, finely chop the parsley and mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- For the carrot salad, peel and grate the carrots, peel and finely grate (zest) the ginger. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Dressing, mix all the ingredients together.
- Now place all the pre made yummies into glass containers and in the fridge.
* You can make it all go further by adding an egg or fish on top of your salads.
* Great with some Bread or Falafels
* 1 portion of my Quick Hummus – click on link for recipe
* 1 jar Sauerkraut – click on link for recipe – needs to be made 4 days in advance.