This is a meal to send your taste buds soaring and to nourish your body. Plant-based food is my favourite way of eating. This is an easy and quick meal to make and it looks beautiful and tastes yummy.
Mint is known to be good for digestion and inflammation. Tarragon is an antioxidant as well as being reported to have many benefits for your heart, reproductive, digestive and muscular health. Using these two herbs together is one of my favourite flavour combinations.
- 1 aubergine
- 2 courgettes
- ½ cup chopped mint
- ⅓ cup chopped tarragon
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 3 tbs coconut oil or canola oil
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 16 radishes (bunch) 1 cup grated
- 1 big bunch kale (around 24 stemmed leaves) (my favourite is Lacinato (Dino) Kale or Red Russian Kale)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (400F)
- Peel tiger stripes lengthways into the aubergine. (see my image to visualise)
- Slice the aubergine into 1 inch thick discs.
- Slice the courgettes on the diagonal into ¾-1 inch thick slices.
- Mix the sliced aubergine and courgettes with 3 tbs of oil, and ensure all the pieces are well covered.
- Place the vegetables on a baking tray and in the warmest part of the oven for 15 minutes, then turn the pieces over (they should be browned not burning) and place back in the oven for 15 minutes more.
- While they roast finely chop the herbs, add 2 tbs of olive oil, 2 tbs of lemon juice and leave to one side.
- De-head and grate the radishes and add 2 tbs of the tarragon mint mix. Leave to one side for 10 minutes.
- After 30 minutes in the oven the courgettes should be perfect, soft but still holding their shape. Take then out of the oven, leaving the aubergine in for 8-10 minutes more in the middle of the oven. They are done when you press a fork through the centre of the aubergine and there is no resistance.
- Pull or cut the stem off the kale and tear into large pieces. Add 1½ tbs olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, a grind of pepper and a dash of lemon juice. Use your hands to massage the kale for just over a minute until it is soft and reduced in size.
- On a large serving plate lay the aubergine and courgettes and cover them in the herby mix. In a large bowl mix the kale and the radish mix
- You’re ready to eat.
* With salmon it is spectacular.
* With other Mezze dishes.
* With quinoa, rice or buckwheat groats.
* With roasted carrots.