Whenever mum and I wanted a treat we would go to Ottolenghi in Islington. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Yotam Ottolenghi, he is a chef who has done wonderful things for vegetarians – making vegetables the main event in his cooking – which is where they should be. His restaurant is divine, giving me inspiration for my wedding dessert table and a favourite place where I would go with mum for breakfast. We used to always order the same thing – a passionfruit meringue tart and granola with yoghurt and fruit. The combination is amazing and the granola is divine. Enter in IBS and I can no longer eat my breakfast treat.
So I have been working to perfect my gluten-free granola, and make it healthier by cutting back on sugar. Granola can be an unhealthy breakfast choice as many have lots of additives and refined sugar. This recipe will provide a nourishing and refined-sugar free start to the morning. The oats give you manganese, dietary fibre, thiamin,magnesium and phosphorus. The nuts and seeds provide healthy fats and essential nutrients: Omega 3, vitamin E, manganese, copper, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, selenium and folic acid.
- 2 ½ cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 tbs or more of sesame seeds
- 1 ½ cups of semi chopped nuts (brazil, pecan, walnuts are my favourite)
- 3 tbs cinnamon
- 4 tbs oil (canola or coconut - your preference)
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup of coconut flakes or desiccated coconut
- * I use a dry cup measurer for all my measuring (liquid and dry)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place all the ingredients, except the coconut, in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Line a medium baking tray with greaseproof paper and put the granola mixture onto the tray. You want about 1cm-2cm thickness of mixture – do not spread too thinly over the tray as you won’t get crunchy granola lumps.
- Place the tray in the oven on the top shelf. You need to shake the mixture around every 5 minutes for 15 minutes to stop it burning.
- Add the coconut to the granola mixture, and move to a lower shelf in the oven for 5-7 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 20 minutes in the tray. This helps your granola form into lumps.
* Granola is delicious just as a snack, with non-dairy milk, fruit, coconut yoghurt, or even sprinkled on top of my Cacao Buckwheat Mousse.