Having healthy snacks are a necessity in my daily life. These are gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and packed with nutrients and yumminess.
These nutrient-rich flapjacks (or Oat Bar as they are known in the US) will keep you energized and stop any hangry (hungry-angry) moments. The ingredients bring a fabulous range of nutrients and mineral to your body; calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, copper, thiamin, manganese, omega 3 fatty acid, vitamin C, potassium, folate, dietary fibre and protein. All of these nutrients are particularly good for your cardiovascular health, your nervous system, to manage blood cells and sugar levels and to grow strong healthy bones, hair, nails and teeth.
- 1 ½ cups of gluten-free rolled oats
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- 2 tbs ground flaxseed
- 2 tbs hemp seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 ½ tbs cinnamon
- 3 tbs brown rice syrup
- 2 tbs tahini
- ½ banana (¼ cup mashed)
- 3 tbs orange juice
- 1 ½ tbs orange zest
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- ¾ cup of nuts, seeds, cacao nibs, dried fruit of your choice
- * I use a dry cup measure for all my measuring (liquid and dry)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (350F).
- Mix all the wet ingredients, then fold in the dry ingredients.
- Spread in an 8in square lined tin and place it in the oven for 30 minutes until the top is beginning to crisp and turn golden.
- Remove from the oven but leave to cool in the tin completely before cutting. If you cut the flapjacks when they are still warm they will break apart and stick to the greaseproof paper.
- Cut into your desired sized squares.