Breakfast being the most important meal of the day is such a true statement. Waking up is much more exciting when you know you have something yummy to eat. Most days there is only time for something quick, so this is my Monday to Friday breakfast. I love this breakie because it is so versatile with a multitude of different toppings to keep your morning meal interesting and most importantly, healthy and easy.
Most recipes now are about overnight oats, which I never remember in time, so these are my ‘shower’ oats; I prepare them before I have a shower and 10-15minutes later they are ready.
I call this Porridge Muesli because it is a mix of the two, and a perfect mix it is. It has a delicious balance of textures, is light and packed with nutrients, especially from the flax seed, which is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, thiamin and manganese.
- ½ cup of gluten-free oats (I use the quick cook oats)
- 1 heaped tbs of ground flax seed
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk
- ⅓ cup water
- *I use a dry cup measurer for all my measuring (liquid and dry)
- Place all the ingredients in your bowl and leave for 10-15 minutes, it will now have more of a paste consistency.
- Now add your flavours and toppings.
*Each morning you can make this breakfast different by what you add on top: Nuts and seeds, Chia seeds, Hemp seeds, Coconut, Chopped fruit, Cinnamon, Granola, Cacao nibs, Maple syrup or Brown rice syrup, Tahini.