This chocolate caramel pie is paleo, vegan, nut-free and refined sugar free and it is a deliciously sweet experience.
My inspiration for this pie came from two desserts caramel shortbread and chocolate pie. This pie has a layer of caramel and a layer of chocolate held in a yummy coconut crust. It is the perfect autumnal dish as it is a cold dessert but feels warming and hearty.
- ½ cup (slightly over full) desiccated coconut
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup non dairy milk
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs Brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup brown rice syrup
- ½ cup non dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup and 1 tbs coconut flour
- 2 tbs non-dairy milk
- 2 tbs brown rice syrup
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- Tart/pie case 9x9inch
- *All my recipes use dry cup measurements (for liquid and dry)
- Line the tart tin base in cling film (makes removing your pie a little easier).
- Mix all the base ingredients to form a dough, place in the tart tin.
- Using your hands and the back of a spoon to push the dough down and up the tart sides to create your pie shell.
- Place the pie shell in the fridge while you make the caramel.
- Place all the caramel ingredients except the coconut flour in a pot on low heat. When the mixture starts to bubble add the coconut flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes while on low heat.
- Pour the caramel into the piecrust and place in the fridge.
- Now turn to the last layer the chocolate. Mix all the chocolate sauce ingredients in a bowl. Take the pie out of the fridge and pour the chocolate sauce over the top. Return pie to the fridge or a shorter visit to the freezer. It needs to be cold in order to set before serving 30minutes – 1 hour.
* With coconut ice cream.
* With coconut whipped cream.
* With caramelised bananas.