source url One of my favourite things about living in different countries is finding new ingredients and learning about new foods. Jicama has been one of my new discoveries, I love this sweet, crunchy, potato looking root vegetable
follow url Jicama originates from South America, and its packed with Vitamin C, B6, Potassium and Iron as well as a good source of soluble dietary fibre.
I have been grating it up in all of my salads it is a yummy addition. This salad recipe using jicama is the most delicious and such a easy quick way to have a nourishing refreshing meal. It reminds me of a Vietnamese green papaya salad crossed with a carrot salad.
- 1 medium jicama
- ¼ cucumber (around 4 inch piece)
- ½ cup grated/spiralized carrot (1-2 carrots)
- ½ cup diced orange (1 orange)
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander
- 3 tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch salt
- Peel the Jicama and Carrots,
- Grate or spiralize the jicama, carrots and cucumber. I have a small mandolin shredder that creates long strips which is perfect for this salad but use what you have, a grater is fine.
- Peel and dice the orange.
- Pick the coriander leaves, discarding the stem and roughly chop.
- Mix all the ingredients you have prepared so far in a bowl.
- Now make the dressing, place the lime juice, grated ginger, cayenne pepper and salt in a bowl and mix. Pour over the salad, mix it all together well and leave to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.
*Delicious on its own or with sliced avocado, or as a base for grilled fish.