My love for aubergine was a slow burner, as a child I didn’t used to like them, not sure if it was the taste or texture, I started to like them when I had aubergine parmigiana and since then I have broaden my use of aubergine and I now cant live without an aubergine meal at least once a week. They are such a versatile vegetable and can be used in any dish with any flavor. I have yet to find a meal an aubergine doesn’t compliment. This dish is one of my most recent obsessions, I love it with a simple green salad it is amazing.
It is also packed with yummy goodness, it is high in antioxidants, and key nutrients especially Vitamin A, C, K, B6, Folate and Potassium. Then the coconut oil and tahini give this meal and nutritional boost in healthy fats and manganese,, calcium, iron and zinc. I use coconut oil for any high heat cooking as it is a saturated fat it is stable at high heats, it also contains lauric acid which is antibacterial and can promote good cholesterol.
I served this meal most recently at a dinner party, it looks so beautiful almost a center piece on the table. It is such an easy dish to whip up and its great hot from the oven, warm and cold, so you don’t need to worry about it you can even make it ahead of time.
- 1 aubergine
- 2-3 tbs coconut oil
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup diced pepper
- 2 tbs tahini
- 1 tbs water
- 1 tbs lemon
- pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the aubergine into ¾-1inch inch discs, and brush sides with coconut oil.
- Place on a baking tray and in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, turning the aubergine slices over half way through.
- Dice the peppers and tomatoes (1cm pieces) and place just the peppers in a pan with 2 tsp coconut oil, keep stirring on low to medium heat while cooking to avoid burning. Cook for 10 minutes until peppers soft then add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Make the sauce mixing all the ingredients together.
- Place the aubergine slices on a plate and place/sprinkle the pepper, tomatoes mix on top. Then drizzle with the sauce.