So I am a fruit, yoghurt, grains breakfast kinda girl, I love avocado and eggs etc but they are a lunch item for me. I love grains, seeds and fruit and my day just feels weird if they don’t welcome me into the day. This meal is my one exception to my normal boycott of eggs for breakfast (if your vegan don’t worry you can still make this and skip the eggs or even add tofu). I think it passes my rule because there are grains and yoghurt still so its snuck in to my breakfast rotation. If you don’t want it for breakie it also makes a great lunch or brunch.
The first time I had this sort of breakfast was when I was back in London visiting family and I had it at two places, one Caravan and at Granger and Co. Needleless to say I went back many times having the grains and eggs. I have used inspiration from both restaurants dish to create my own version.
It is a such a scrummy meal and is super power breakie, a great source of protein and nutrients. You can follow this link to make your own sauerkraut.
- ½ cup buckwheat
- ½ cup quinoa
- strip of kombu
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- grind of pepper
- ¼ cup sauerkraut
- ½ cup yoghurt: Optional to add 2tbs tahini 1 tbs lemon ¼ salt
- 1 Avocado
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs hemp seeds
- The night before rinse the buckwheat groats, quinoa and soak them in around 2 cups water with 1 tbs apple cider vinegar.
- The next morning or a few hours later drain and rinse the grains.
- Place in a pot with a 1-2 inch covering of water and 1 strip of kombu and boil for 10-15 minutes. Drain the grains and discard the kombu (it has done its job leaving all its yummy nutrients in the water.
- Bring another pot of water to the boil.
- Grate the carrots, and add the lemon juice, olive oil, grated ginger, salt, pepper, and sauerkraut to the grains and mix together. You can keep it all separate from the grains.
- Once the water has boiled add the eggs gently and boil for 6-7 minutes.
- Make the yoghurt sauce, slice the avocado and plate up.
- You can add some greens like spinach as well.
- Once the eggs are done, peel the shell, slice in half and serve on top of the grain bowl.
- Sprinkle the hemp seeds and eat.