Cut out cookies are such a staple, and cutting them into different shapes for different occasions is so fun and easy. These cut out cookies are gluten-free, vegan and low sugar.
Every Christmas I make sugar cookies, these are one of my husbands favourite Christmas traditions. The last 3 years he has been without my cookies as I have been trying to recreate them without gluten, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar. This has been a challenge, one he has not enjoyed. This Christmas I have finally cracked them, he finally approves. He does still wish they had icing sugar icing on top.
- 1 tbs ground flaxseed
- ½ tbs psyllium husk
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- 2 tbs brown rice syrup
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup sorghum flour
- 2 tbs tapioca flour
- Optional 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate soda
- * All my recipes use dry cup measurer for liquid and dry
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350 F)
- Mix the ground flaxseed with 3 tbs of warm water and leave to once side for at least 5 minutes. Then add the psyllium husk.
- In another bowl mix the sugar, syrup and oil until well combined. Add the flaxseed/ psyllium husk and mix again.
- Sift in the flours and rising agents and mix to form a dough. If you want ginger tasting cookies add the ground ginger.
- Put the dough in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface. The dough being without gluten will break up lots so try and rolls small pieces at a time. Roll to 3-5mm thick and use cookie cutters to make your cookies.
- Use a spatula to pick up to cookies and transfer them to a lined baking tray.
- This recipe makes a medium sized baking tray full of cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Keep your eye on the edges to make sure they do not start to burn.
- Leave them to cool on the tray for 10 minutes then move to a cooling rack.
* Brush each cookie with a little brown rice syrup and dip the cookie into desiccated coconut.
* Making an icing sugar icing (just water and icing sugar) but this is refined sugar and kind of diminishes the effort to reduce the sugar in the cookies.
* Sandwich together with chocolate tahini spread (Ratio 1 part brown rice syrup and cocoa powder, 2 part tahini)