This chilli paste has made my cooking so much easier. I make a large amount and then freeze it. It is then ready in an instant to add more flavours and a kick to any dish. Another bonus is that I don’t have to cut up chilies as often and thus reducing the amount of times I itch and chilli burn my face while cutting them.
This paste is an amazing addition to so many recipes. I use it in all my cooking for Mexican meals, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Asian, from soups to sauces to pies it works.
- ⅓ cup olive oil or oil of your preference
- ½ cup chopped peeled carrots
- ½ cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup/handful of fresh coriander
- 10 small dried red chilies (if large dried chilies you may need nearer 15)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbs lime juice (1 lime)
- * I use a dry cup measurer for all my measuring (liquid and dry)
- Prepare the tomatoes, red pepper and carrots (these should be chopped all to a similar size about 2cm).
- Deseed the chilies and finely chop.
- Place the oil in a pan or wok and heat for 1-2 minutes on a medium heat.
- Carefully add the chopped tomatoes, peppers and carrots.
- Turn the heat up to high and brown the vegetables, keep stirring so they don’t burn. Cook for 8 minutes until the vegetables start to brown. Turn the heat down to medium and add the chopped chilies. Cook for 4 more minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the coriander, sugar and salt. Remember to keep stirring. Cook for 2 more minutes then turn the heat off and add the lime juice.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to your food processor and blitz until a smooth paste forms. Transfer the paste back to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes on medium heat to allow the juices to really blend.
- Once the paste has cooled, put in a jar in the fridge (if you know you have a week of meals that use the paste or a big meal you’re making), or what I do is to have an ice-cube tray (which I use for stocks and sauces etc) and place 2 tsp of the chili paste in each ice-cube holder.
- This makes 12 ice cubes of chili tomtastic paste, which is then ready to add into any sauce etc you may need in the future.