This vegan, gluten-free Chia Berry Maca Breakfast Pot is super easy, yummy and packed full of goodness. In my most recent module on my nutritionist course I have been learning about therapeutic nutrition for particular conditions, in particular I have been creating recipes with a good balance of essential fatty acids.
Omega 3 and 6 are essential fatty acids that our bodies needs but we often have too many omega 6 and not enough omega 3. Ideally need these Omegas in a ratio of 3:1omega-6 to omega-3 some even say 2:1. Imbalances lead to inflammation and disease.
A good ratio of these essential fatty acids has a host of benefits for our body, including:
* Reduce inflammation and pain
* Protective against brain disease, necessary for brain function
* Keeps blood thinner
* Stabilizes blood sugar levels
* Lowers triglycerides and raises good cholesterol (HDL)
* Protection against Cardiovascular disease
* Reduce depression
* Help allergies and digestive disorders
Chia seeds are a great vegan source of Omegas, and they are much higher in Omega 3 than 6, which is rare and amazing. Fish is perhaps the best source of Omegas because they contain a type of Omega than is more bioavailable to our body but chia seeds are still pretty amazing. Chia Seeds are heralded as a super food not only because they are rich in Omega 3 fatty but they are also high in Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Iron and Zinc.Chia seeds are also a source of antioxidants.
The rest of the ingredients in this breakfast pudding are also very good for you.Hemp milk is a good source of nutrients including Vitamin A, D, B12, Calcium and Magnesium. The cinnamon and ginger have antioxidants and properties that help manage blood glucose levels and manage blood pressure, they are anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and help the digestive system as well as supporting other organ functionsMaca powder is part of the radish family and originates in Peru. It is a source of Vitamin C E and the B vitamins, as well as minerals like calcium, zinc and iron. It balances hormones and is known to increase fertility.
Then berries top this nourishing breakfast off with a host of other nutrients and antioxidants. This really is one of the best starts to your day.
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp maca powder
- 1 cup frozen berries
- Place the chia seeds, water and milk in a large jar/bowl and mix with a fork for a few minutes to stop any lumps forming.
- Then place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better, I tend to make them the night before.
- Take the remaining ingredients and add them to the chia mix and mix well until well combined.
* Serve with granola, sliced banana, frothy milk, seeds, nuts, coconut flakes or as it is.
One portion is 190 kcl and % of your daily recommended intake below:
|B1- 5%||Vit A – 2.5%||Calcium – 23%||Potassium – 8%|
|B12- 3%||Vit C – 32%||Copper – 14 %||Selenium – 16%|
|B2- 6%||Vit D – 3%||Iron – 25%||Sodium – 0.8%|
|B3- 10%||Vit E- 6%||Magnesium 25%||Zinc – 9%|
|B5- 4%||Vit K – 196%||Manganese – 78%||Protein – 11%|
|B6 -18%||Phosophors – 22%||Omega 6: 1.81g 3: 3.85g|
|Folate – 7%||Fibre – 15%|